A faineant-turn-fantastic day

10:38 PM Posted In Edit This 7 Comments »
It was a lazy Saturday morning. Though I slept late the other night, I couldn’t manage to sleep longer than 9a.m. I woke up with a call from my father. They had consummated their trip to the Golden Temple and Wagah border and were jubilantly heading towards Jammu. They are on a North India tour, covering Agra, Haridwar, Hrishikesh, Amritsar, Jammu, Vaishno Devi, Srinagar and Delhi. How I wish I could have accompanied them. When people tell me about their visits to diverse parts of the country, the green eyed monster in me is awaken. Why am I not one of them? Well, it’s all in fate. After his call, I attended few more calls from relatives, friends and finally got up. All of my activities were being carried out in a very slothful manner. I made tea, picked up the newspaper and switched on the TV while sipping in the refreshing beverage. Today, no activity was planned, unlike other weekends, when I have a properly chalked out program. The only thing on agenda was – Wedding reception of a friend. When he had called me to invite for the reception, I was pretty excited to be a part of the wonderful occasion. I had known the love story that this couple shared and I felt blessed to be able to witness the union of two people, truly in love. But the way this loony day was progressing, I was not sure if I will really be able to make it. Anyway, I am new to the city, I wasn’t knowing the way to the venue plus the Bangalore rains can play their games any random time, so, I was just cooking up reasons for why I might not be able to go. I continued lazing around, watched 2 movies back to back, browsed the net, had maggi for lunch (Cant thank the Maggi producers enough for launching a product like that, it’s a boon!). The eventide had casted its spell and my laziness was at its peak when my friend (the groom) called up to explain the venue address and enquired about how I will be reaching there and all. While on call, I went to the terrace and ascertained the weather conditions, no dark patches had painted the blue canvas. The reception was to start at 7p.m. I still had one hour. Impetuously I gained the lost excitement and confirmed my arrival. Immediately after disconnecting his call, I called up my best friend, the chalta phirta Google map of Bangalore to know the exact route to the area. I stay at Koramangla and I had to go to Vijay Nagar. She told me its good 20-25 kms ride. We discussed about the various modes of transport I can avail to get there and analysed the best option. She suggested that if I go on my bike, I will get to explore the South side of Bangalore and in the process, know the city better. The idea clicked! After spending a shiftless day, I was all set to take up the challenge to reach other part of the city in extremum traffic, when I am not even sure of the way. I concluded, I will go on my bike, no matter what.
I have a bike, an Activa. I call her Vandiva. Lately, she keeps complaining about being ignored by me. She says unlike Pune, when we used to ride everyday to office and back, I don’t accompany her and prefer spending hours with my new friend in Bangalore, the bus. She has a rambling kvetch that many a times I don’t even have time for her over the weekends. With a longing look, she once told me, “I keep cleaning myself with the rainwater so that am ever ready for a ride with you” I was touched. Today I had the perfect opportunity to fulfil her desire and beat about the reception venue. I jumped on it, got attired for the occasion and began with the long haul.
The first halt was at the gift centre. I picked up a lovely present apace and reconfirmed the route to the venue from the shop keeper. He scared me a little when he said, “VijayNagara? It is far off madam; you will take a long time in this traffic to reach there.” With full support of Vandiva and an audacious mindset to go; nothing could shake me off it. We continued our expedition.
I admit that I am not very good with directions. I also admit that I have no inhibition about talking to strangers. The two traits work in favour of me. The very point when I get confused about which way to go, I confirm it by asking the first person I see (who looks like he can give directions: D) preferably an Auto rickshaw driver. On my way to Vijay Nagar, I would have had a word with almost around 10 auto wallahs. They were all very very kind and sweet people. Some offered me to follow them till a convenient point, some signalled the directions, some tried to explain in broken Hindi. But my mind registered the particular line which was repeated by a few of them, “Go straiietaa.. dead endaaa.. take a lefta(or righta)” Loved the accent in which they lovingly explained the route to a newcomer like me. With the help of such benignant mortals, I finally reached the destination in nearly 1.5 hrs.
Vandiva was happy, but a little tired. I allowed her to rest and with a sense of accomplishment, I went inside and greeted the newly married twosome. They were glad to know about my joyful ordeal, but I was definitely gladder telling them about it  Looking at the two of them, so happy together, I loved myself for taking the right decision to be there. I had a lovely time with a lovely company and great food.
After sharing some light moments with the bride and the groom, I started my way back home. This time a new route (thanks to the multiple one ways), new set of rickshaw wallahs, but the same old line with the same warmth, “Go straiietaa.. dead endaaa.. take a lefta (or righta)” We reached back home, safe and sound. I am sure Vandiva won’t whine for a long time to go.

7 comments:

Anupama said...

There is no doubt that the autowallahs in Bangalore are the best and most helpful people when it comes to giving directions...I wish they were as helpful when it came to giving a ride too :(

I like the name Vandiva :D It has Vandu as well as Diva in it...and that's exactly what these 100cc bikes are. More power to them!

Nirupama said...

Great post Vandu! Traveling even inside the city with no route in mind is kind of adventurous! It's these daily adventures that make one comfortable towards the city!
Cheers to you and Vandiva!! :)

Vandana said...

Yes Niru, it totally was! Just the way we had wandered to find the Sheshadripuram police station :D) It was funnnn!! (Ignoring the backache :P)

Vandana said...

Anu, finally a word of appreciation for the Bangalore autowallahs :P) I hope,this good word spreads and you get to enjoy a good auto ride soon :D)

Vihang said...

Liked the description of vandiva :) nice imagination....

"Go straiietaa.. dead endaaa.. take a lefta (or righta)" .... too good !! :D

Vandana said...

Hey Vihang! Great to knw u visited my blog :) Am glad u liked it :))

U will know me better here.. said...

Heyy VanDDDD!!!!!! :D

"Go straiietaa.. dead endaaa.. take a lefta (or righta)"

Your activa is the luckiest as she got "VanD Diva"..

Beautifully explained... as always.. :)